The Irish Association for Simulation was founded in 2015 by Drs Crina Burlacu, Dara Byrne and Paul O’Connor. The IAS is an all Ireland interdisciplinary society that advances the application of simulation based learning to healthcare and high risk industries to drive change and improve quality and safety.
The Purposes of the Association are:
– To develop simulation based learning, teaching and research in healthcare professionals and others.
– To develop and foster best practices for the development and application of simulation.
– To promote the professional development of individuals and institutions interested in simulation modalities through education, research and development.
– To develop and foster a national network of simulation educators, technologists, users, administrators and users
– To partner with other professional societies that have common goals (e.g ASPiH).
– To serve as a collaborative venue for national and international community to voice its collective expertise and ideas.
– To facilitate collaboration between and among academic institutions and industry.
The IAS affiliated with the Association for Simulated Practice in Healthcare (ASPiH) at the ASPiH conference in Bristol in November 2016
The IAS steering committee is composed of a group of simulation leads in Ireland, who presented their work and areas of interest to a group of more than 60 attendees at the symposium.
Dr. Crina Burlacu – Chair IAS, Director of Simulation CAI
Dr. Dara Byrne – Hon. Secretary IAS, Group Director Simulation Saolta, Senior Lecturer in Simulation NUI Galway
Dr. Paul O’ Connor –Human Factors Psychologist, Lecturer in General Practice NUI Galway
Dr. Dara O’Keeffe – Simulation Lead for Postgraduate Surgical Training RCSI
Prof. James Murray – Director of Simulation RCSI
Dr. Mike Morrow – Simulation lead (NIMDTA)
Mr. Dave Power – Centre Manager – ASSERT UCC
The IAS will be open for membership in the near future. For the moment membership is through registration for the annual symposium. If you are a member of ASPiH then you can apply for discounted registration at the IAS symposium. The third IAS symposium will be held on Friday 20th April 2018 in the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Details of the symposium and how to register can be found here: Irish Association for Simulation